The War Zone and The Sanctuary

A blog run by a Liberal Feminist woman who adores Music and all other Art in any form. Actually, she loves just about everything from Science to British comedy. But - she is pissed off with the Current Administration and all their Right Wing ideology and is compelled to fight their reign by setting up...A Blog ( ta da! ). All malice aside, this woman is most happy when she is surrounded by intelligent thought and witty conversation.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Books Worth Reading

I found myself in a tiny bookshop today that was absent of huge 75% off! sale signs and a Expresso-Quickie cafe ( there was a small juice bar, but the food and drinks were all organic so I loved it ). Bookstores are my weakness. Once I get in, it takes me a couple hours to wrench myself from the plethora of tomes that fill the aisles. This one was no exception. So here are some of the few books I could not help walking out with.


The first is the Last Child In The Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv. It's great. It is all about how our children are steadily becoming removed from nature, which is tragic, because if they do know know and love the natural world around them, how the hell will they ever feel the need to protect and nurture it?
I quote from this book: "I like to play indoors 'cause that's where all the electrical outlets are." - fourth grader in San Diego
Read it. I'm only in the introduction and already find it to be extremely informative.


The second book I bought is a gem. Not only for the subject it address, but for the artwork and the format of the book. Julius Lester, of Newbery fame, has a book ( I'd say early elementary age ) called Let's Talk About Race. It is written in a non-traditional way, with sentences such as: I'll take off my skin. Will you take off yours? If you want to introduce a multicultural view to your children this is a great place to start. God knows we need more literature like this.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home